Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sensory Deprivation

In the wake of the two recent posts below titled Sensory Perception, I realized that I had missed three photos that had been intended for inclusion, but through whatever fogs of sensory deprivation my over-taxed cranial cavity may have been suffering, they were omitted... but not for long, as I know you were just dying for more glimpses of that wondrous site near the town of Sens, France, a vision of post-industrial collapse. The champagne drinking (note empty bottle in foreground) paint-ball shooters had passed this way...
.


















This photo I had titled "La Zone" for the word above the doorframe. In French, the word "zone" has taken on a frequently used slang meaning used to intimate a place of ill-repute or area infested with criminal activity. This abandoned factory site used now only by hard-drinking graffiti painting hooligans was certainly an example of place that could be called a "zone", as in : "Bordel, c'est la zone là bas, il ne faut pas y aller la nuit, surtout pas !"... It took me a while of looking at the image on this wall before I realized it was a picture of a toaster... a toaster of all things to memorialize in a drunken stupor of spray-painting... If I was of a religious bent, I might exclaim here something to the effect of... "Heaven help us !"
.

















And last but not least, large piles of factory documents, blueprints and technical drawings that had no doubt taken large numbers of hours by engineers and artists to create had been unceremoniously dumped in the middle of a large room and set on fire. The flames had not consumed all, leaving charred remants of documentation many of which were marked "Methodes Usine"... Factory methodes...
.

No comments: