Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Small Show In Paris . . .

.
.
.
.
It is a great pleasure to share with you here that a small showing of four photos that I took this past summer in the south of France has just begun in the Canon Photo Prony store at 55 rue de Prony, 75017 Paris, and will be up for the next few months. I would like to give a big "Thank You" to Gilles and his team there. We got to talking last summer one day, and I mentioned that some of the photos from the trip in July to Florac and the Causse Méjean could be seen here on the blog. It was a very great and positive surprise when a couple of weeks later he asked me if I could do some large prints in order to hang them in the store in Paris. So shortly thereafter I delivered four big prints, measuring 45 by 60 cms, or roughly 18 inches by 24 inches. And as of yesterday they are hanging in the store. The first public showing ever of any of my work, in printed form of course. This blog is where it started, in virtual format. But there is no comparison between a print done on fine quality photographic paper, and what can be seen on a computer screen. In any case, should you happen to be in Paris in the near future, please do drop by to say hello to Gilles and the team at Photo Prony, and take a look at the prints of these photos. These are the four photos thus exposed.
.
C'est un grand plaisir de partager l'info ici avec vous qu'une petite exposition de quatre photos faites cet été dans le sud de la France vient de commencer dans la boutique Canon Photo Prony, au 55 rue de Prony, Paris 17ème, et sera visible pendant quelques mois. J'aimerais dire un très grand Merci à Gilles et son équipe au magasin. Nous avons commencé à parler cet été à propos du sejour que j'avais fait dans le sud, et du fait que quelques photos de ce voyage étaient visibles sur le blog. Imaginez ma surprise quand quelques semaines plus tard il m'a demandé si je pourrais fournir quelques tirages en grand format pour exposer au magasin. Peu de temps après j'ai livré quatres grands tirages, format 45cm x 60 cms, et depuis hier ils sont joliment présentés dans la boutique. C'est la première fois que mes photos en format papier sont exposées quelque part, il n'y pas de comparaison entre la qualité d'un tirage sur papier de bonne qualité et une image sur écran d'ordinateur. Bref, si vous êtes dans Paris dans un avenir proche, n'hésitez pas à passer par le rue de Prony pour dire bonjour à l'équipe Photo Prony, et voir ces photos de plus près. Voici les quatre photos.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The rue de Prony begins just opposite the main entrance to the Parc Monceau in the 17th arrondissement, shown here. The round columned building here primarily houses public toilets. (just in case !)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
And just a few short blocks up the rue de Prony from the Parc Monceau you will find the Canon Photo Prony shop.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Merci BEAUCOUP Gilles !
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

40 comments:

pRiyA said...

That's wonderful. Good for you Owen!

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Congratulations, Owen. You must be thrilled and I'm thrilled for you. These photos are intriguing because they present a view of France so different from the stereotypes we are used to. For what it's worth, photos 1 and 4 are my favorites.

Alistair said...

A well deserved CONGRATULATIONS...

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Well fancy that, you must have had a good chuckle when you read my email on Friday. There you were with your exhibition base tucked under your arm! What a fantastic step :-) You have laid out explicit instructions for viewing, and I wasn't going to leave the 8th Arrondissement but... 17th is next door!

My favourite photo is your fence posts, maybe because they were where you were at when I found your blog, and I like the visual pun. The memorial cross and the roofless cottage could easily be relics on the Otago gold fields here in NZ.
I do hope this exhibition opportunity opens doors for you Owen.

Jeneane

Steve said...

Fantastic to hear this. Well done, Owen. I hope this is the start of you getting the recognition you and your work deserves.

Pastelle said...

Félicitations !
Dis, tu nous parleras encore quand tu seras devenu célèbre ?
;)

Jane Aston said...

These are lovely, I went to Florac last year so I am putting some of mine up as inspired by you.

Gwen Buchanan said...

YEAH!!!
...it must have been hard to choose from the many, many, many fabulous photographs you have taken.. These look amazing!!!

The shop must be receiving some great feedback.. Congratulations to you and well deserved...

Nevine Sultan said...

This is wonderful news, Owen! And what a great opportunity for you to showcase your work to other eyes. It was inevitably going to happen that your work was going to be recognized for its uniqueness and beauty. Way to go and... here's a toast! *Clink!*

Nevine

the fly in the web said...

The photographs look superb in situ...and as had been said above, such a relief to see a beautifully executed vision of the 'other' France.

Lorrene said...

You deserve it !! Well done.
Who would have ever thought falling down fence post and knee deep weeds would be so fascinating. There is just something about it. I love all of them.

Stickup Artist said...

That's so awesome! I certainly can't think of a better place to make one's debut! I love that image of the wooden fence. Congratulations!

Amanda said...

I am so happy for you Owen. Well deserved recognition!

Laurie said...

Hurrah, Hurrah, Owen! Marvellous news.

Mary Ann said...

Bravo, Owen! Happy for you.

English Rider said...

Congrats to you and well deserved. All of these photos have depth and texture and narrative. The first breathes warmth and life into cold granite. It stands out like a beating heart, pulsating with life, amongst the still landscape.

Lynne with an e said...

An excellent testimony to the quality of your photographs, being requested to display them in a Canon camera shop in Paris! They seem from here to look fabulous, blown up and framed, so must be very impressive up close and viewed in person.

And so thoughtful of you to let us know where to find the toilets.

Here's to your first exhibit! May there be many more to come. I will do my best to make it over for your first large scale solo one. Let me know.

henk van es said...

Dear Owen, This news is so good. Congratulations with this first public exhibit of your wonderful work.

mythopolis said...

Excellent! I hope it is the first of many exhibits for you. Your photographs are wonderful. I also like the way they have been framed and matted. Bravo.

Anonymous said...

Concratulations upon this achievement ! It's probably a much larger promise in the making. Please have a good new week.

Lydia said...

When I saw the snippet of this post in my sidebar I got butterflies in my stomach! How exciting, Owen, to have a showing of these four photos. I wish I could board a plane this week to pay a visit to Gilles and his fine store to thank him for giving you this exposure! Such well-deserved recognition....and the best thing is that these aren't even your best works in my opinion!

I am so happy for you.

PeterParis said...

I will be at that shop soon, for sure!(Only ten minutes walk.)

(I suppose that the toilets are free of charge, as all public Paris toilets, considering that the place used to be where you paid taxes to get into the city.)

Adam said...

Congratulations Owen - they look excellent there in their new - physically real - setting!

Amanda Summer said...

huge congrats owen on a well deserved honor. your photographs are spectacular - moody, contemplative and mysterious - my kind of images. i'm so happy that many others will have a chance to view your stellar work.

The Sagittarian said...

How fabulous Owen, so well deserved! Your photos have a certain 'soul' to them which is very appealing. I'll have to scoot to the bar to concoct something special in your honour!

Owen said...

A simply GIANT Thank You to each of you...

I cannot tell you how much your kind words coming back through the comment box have served to keep me going at this blogging over the past three years, and were it not for the blog, these photos wouldn't be hanging in a shop in Paris today... so you are all in part responsible.

Hope to see some of you there this coming Saturday 19 November, late in the afternoon around 17h00, when a bottle or two of Champagne will be opened...

Deepest thanks again !

Nathalie H.D. said...

I'm so pleased Owen, this is truly deserved. CONGRATULATIONS !!!
I just love this series, my favourite being numbers 1 and 3 (I LOVE that fence!).

If the exhibit runs for a couple of months I'll definitely come and see it when I'm in Paris for Christmas... and I hope to come and kiss the photographer on both cheeks too!

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Oh golly, is that what one does in Paris? Kiss the photographer on both cheeks?

Jenny Woolf said...

Congratulations, Owen. I'm sorry I won't be able to see them in person but thanks for posting them on your blog. I find the picture of the fence particularly interesting, it's not clear to me whether it is actually falling down or whether it has been made that way. I think the former. It has a ramshackle, yet purposeful air, and stretches as far as the eye can see under a gloomy sky. It's really great!

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

Hi very nice to see again, I'm back on the blog!!

James said...

Congratulations Owen! A well deserved honor! I wish I could go see them in person.

dusty said...

I will be in Paris in March - I hope he exhibit is still up!!

Owen said...

Hi Dusty, I'm not sure that it will still be up in March, normally it will go on for two, maybe three months, but they change the shows every few months to give new photos and photographers some exposure, but who knows, time will tell. How long will you be in Paris for ?

==========================

Nathalie & Lady M., yes, kissing the photographer on both cheeks is a fine way to greet a photographer, or anyone else, so I can't wait !
:-)

===========================

And just for info, the fence is there to keep snow from blowing across a small road that goes by there, but I don't know for how many more winters it will continue to perform its duty, unless it gets an overhaul...

Many thanks again to one and all !!! Wish you all could have dropped by the Canon shop this evening, as a couple of bottles of champagne were opened and duly consumed, in moderation of course.

Peter, if you see this, it was great to see you tonight, and looking forward to another outing dès que possible...

:: Karine :: said...

félicitations owen adoré ! tu le mérites :-)

Owen said...

merci Karine !!! à bientôt

PeterParis said...

Thanks for the champagne! :-)

Kate Cullen Fisher said...

A very belated note of appreciation....the exhibit is fabulous! Only wish it could be a traveling show. The Naples Art Museum would be another great venue...

Linda Gibbons said...

I could look at that fence forever!

Andrew said...

I've been checking your site far less often than I should, and see that I have been missing some really beautiful photography, as well as this exciting piece of news. Nancy's reaction to your pictures matches mine and some of your other followers: your photography is excellent, and should be exhibited. Four pieces is a nice start!

More personally, I sent an e-mail to you last week. The family news hasn't been great from anywhere. Drop me a private line, please.

--Andrew, from New Hampshire, where last week's snow is already little more than memory

Leslie D. said...

That is just fantastic and so well deserved!