Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dali's Bicycle...

Sometimes there is no question... Life imitates Art. I found and photographed this bicycle in New York City in 2000, about a year before the tragic events there that no doubt caused distress to many other bicycles that may have been caught in the collapse of the two towers. I was and am convinced that this was Salvador Dali's bicycle, although I am at a loss to explain how it arrived on this sidewalk in New York leaning against a light pole. It obviously wasn't ridden here in this shape.
.
Now I suppose we could extrapolate from this poor bent-wheeled bicycle to find in it a symbol for our currently ailing economy, or even our ailing planet in general. One thing I can tell you, is I am getting profoundly tired of people in the press who keep harping on about how horrible things are and how much worse they are going to get. The notion of a self-fulfulling prophecy applies here. If you keep telling people how awful things are, sooner or later they are going to start believing it. One almost has to wonder if there is not an intentional campaign in progress to demoralize everyone. Well, as for me, I want to remain optimistic and upbeat. Obama is here now and there is hope. An airliner landed in a river without one fatality. Our collective bicycle may be bent but it ain't broke, and we sure as heck better put our heads together and find some intelligent solutions for pollution, over-population, and the economic framework in which we live. And yes, I think it is high time for some major changes. So, anyone have a set of monkey wrenches ?
.

1 comment:

Zoog said...

This bike reminds me of how I feel at times these days... (smile) Not enough time...melting watches and clocks... really enjoyed this photo E...