Friday, January 9, 2009

Roscoff ! (cont.)

Walking around small villages in France is always a big source of pleasure for me... no matter where I go in my adopted country, there seem to be no end of fascinating traces of history, and other oddities that perhaps strike me as interesting because I wasn't born and raised here; even after 16 years, things seem unusual to my foreign eye. Like this painting gallery with an ancient house reflected in the window...
.


























This window was not a shop, just someone's home with lots of stuffed critters hanging around...
.

























There are no shortage of incredible architectural details around France, many of which go back hundreds of years and have rich history associated with them. Will have to track down the story on this dragon, and the face peering out from behind the lamp...
.


























My paternal grandmother was a collector of owl images and figurines, she had dozens of owls around the house... this is in memory of her...
.


























In almost every town in France there is at least one monument to World War One dead, and in many graveyards there are more such monuments. I liked this "Poilu" in the Roscoff cemetery.
.

No comments: