Monday, January 19, 2009

Weathered Man

As with some dreams that seem to last for hours in the night from which one can't quite escape the clutches of, as much as one might like to, I keep running into this character all over the place. As with census studies for living human populations, I don't know whether any census has ever been conducted to try to quantify the number of representations of this particular dead human that have been manufactured around the globe in the past 2000 years or so. I would hasard a guess that it may be in the high hundreds of millions, if not low billions. No wonder I keep running into him. The individual in this photo had weathered in a remarkable manner, I've never seen one quite like him... or was it the onset of leprosy ? For the record, he was in the same cemetery in Ors, France, where the poet Wilfried Owen is buried, photographed 11 Nov.,2008.
.

No comments: