Monday, December 15, 2008

Schoelcher !


One more note, if I may, from Guadeloupe; in Pointe à Pitre there is a small museum dedicated to Victor Schoelcher. How many of you learned about Victor Schoelcher in history classes in high school? How many of you studied history in College? If you did, bravo, my hat is off to you, I wish I had. I wish I could go back and do alot of things over... but it's getting a bit late in the game now for that, so guess I'll just have to live with it. Victor Schoelcher was perhaps the French equivalent of an Abraham Lincoln... he was instrumental in abolishing slavery in French territories. This piece of sculpture needs a little cleaning up though, like many things in Guadeloupe, it was looking a little run down. But that's the way I like it...

No comments: