Thursday, April 2, 2009

Between Two Islands . . . Again . . .

It would be impossible for me to convey to you the feelings dredged up by these photographs, photos which I have not seen as enlarged images since I took them around 20 years ago. The negatives have languished in various drawers or suitcases or closets or attics all that time, but luckily, for me I guess, survived the ordeal. If you go back to beginning of this blog in September last Fall, there is a poem posted there called "Between Two Islands". These photos are from that place. My grandparents' ashes were scattered here. The turtle crawls and the oriole calls in the morning in the mists when ghosts are walking in the marshlands. How many times as a child did I run along this wooden walkway into the tall marshgrass, heading for the bridge to an island. . . I am running there still today, from wherever I am, that place is intact, pristine, untarnished by any stain of man. . . and the tide comes in, the tide rolls out, the marsh is breathing. . .
.






.






.




.
.

6 comments:

Adrian Popa said...

very nice compositions!

Adrian Popa said...

Thank you very much for your great words. I`m still gowin`up but someday, maybe, I`ll rise where you`re pointed.
Congrats, for your job here, I sense it a smart one!

Jill said...

I went back to your September post and read your poem "Between Two Islands"...Very evocative...I got a full sense of the place and of your own way of thinking...a very complete poem.

Owen said...

Thanks Adrian... just have to keep trying to rise to the stars, even if our feet are tied to this Earth by gravity...

And Jill, thanks for stopping by and leaving these kind words... just signed in to follow your blog, love those latest sketches ! Hope there's only one of those grasshoppers, and not a plague of them coming... Glad you enjoyed the poem... that's me alright...

Alex said...

Hi, Owen i really like these photos very professional, they look great in mono.

henk van es said...

Hi Owen, Sorry I am staggering a bit behond, but I still would like to let you know how moving these pics in my opinion are, in combination woth your text evocating thr sounds in the early mornibg and the tide that's coming up and rolling down. Please go on posting this small impressions. They are wonderful.