Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Swift Kick In the Head . . .

I took this photo of a small painting that was in the church at Saintes Maries de la Mer, France, which is just south of Nimes and Arles. There was a whole series of paintings each depicting events that had miraculous outcomes. In this case the miracle was the small boy survived being kicked brutally in the head by a recalcitrant mule. There are many other charming stories illustrated there.
.
Moral of the story ? Don't stand behind the mule if you are going to beat him with stick. . . I'm sure that has many practical applications in every day life. . . Or maybe the moral should be : Don't beat your mule in the first place ?
.
.




















.
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with the mule on this one.

Enjoying your blog,

GG

nathalie in avignon said...

Owen as far as I'm concerned the photo doesn't load, I can't see it.

Strange, because I can see all the other ones...

(unless this is a tale of the disappearing mule? one of the miracles performed by Owen the prophet???)

William Evertson said...

Interesting painting. I'm taking a course on miracles and magic in Medieval Europe (damn-I'm older than the professor) and have been fascinated by the old woodcuts and painting depicting magical activity, Unfortunately I think some images helped solidify stereotypes leading to the witch hysteria. Humm, maybe a post subject. Thanks for stopping by my site :)

Owen said...

Nathalie, Blogger has been having problems today... I had trouble earlier trying to leave comments, they were all rejected, but it seems to be working better now... so keep kicking the mule, just don't stand behind him...

Bill, thanks for dropping in, I can see you could see the mule painting. Interesting what you were just saying about taking a course in miracles and magic in medieval Europe... as you were typing the comment in, I was typing the post above this one... about magical birds and corn... there is magic in the air ! LOL !

Flowergirl said...

Hi:

I am here for the first time. When looking at this painting, I am recalling a recent incident where I got kicked by a mule. Though it was painful, I couldn't ignore, I stood behind it. I am laughing it off ..