Friday, April 24, 2009

Yesterday : Part One : The Market . . .

Sometimes life smiles on us. Yesterday, on vacation in Brittany, was as close to being a perfect day as I can recall having in a while. I'm going to do this in a few installments, as composing pages in Blogger is not very conducive for longer articles with multiple photos. Blogger has a pesky habit of inserting line spaces where I have asked for none, and then one has to go back and delete them back out even after publishing the first time. But I digress. "Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away".
.
The day started with a trip to the Carantec market, which takes place every Thursday morning, year round. We love to go walk through, invariably one meets half the village, and there are often new and interesting vendors of odds and ends, as well as the old regulars. . . and as you can see from this first batch of photos from the market, I was still seeing red . . .
.
These ceramic knife holders (is that the correct name in English ??? In French : Porte Couteau) being sold in sardine tins caught my eye . . . laid out on a red cloth. . .
.





















The hat merchant had a model which Bob Dylan made famous in his song about a leopard skin pillbox hat. . . for a good smile look up the lyrics to it on Google. . . with a red hat next to it. . .
.





















The seafood in these parts is out of this world . . . with a red skirt in the background. . .
.





















And fresh sausages galore. . .
.

































After a long cold Winter, fresh asparagus are starting to show up . . . Yum ! And a couple of red tomatoes for good measure. . .
.

































A row of baskets waiting for someone to take them home. . . Under a red "No Entry" sign. . .
.

































Our favorite market Thursday lunch, chicken roast at the market with grilled potatoes ! ! !
.





















Fresh Brittany strawberries for dessert ! (Note the "Famous Menton Lemons... from the South !)
.





















Crepes in abundance . . . on a red sign. . .
.

































Olives from somewhere farther south of here . . . (in red bowls)
.

Signposts directing all the vegetables as to which way to the salad bowl. . .

.


























.
.

11 comments:

ladydi said...

I like your work schedule! Every few weeks you seem to be off on another vacation. It all looks delightful.

ladydi said...

Who knew there were so many varieties of - AAK! - olives. I have never learned to like them. The floppy hats made me remember your family's visit to our house in - um - 1969 or there abouts. We went to a market sort of place where you bought a floppy hat. :>} I assume you still have it?

Amy said...

This puts our weekly markets around L.A. to shame. Just look at all the variety! I am quite jealous. :) Great, colorful photos.

Sar@h said...

Tiens je vais dire à Hermann (et ses parents) que ses fruits & légumes sont en photos. Les Becam sont presque des voisins !

J'adore la dernière !

Bon, je ne traîne pas … y'a marché ce matin !

Bonne route …

LR Photography said...

Sometimes Owen I like yesterday...

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I've found your blog.

I know that I'm going to just love reading it,

GG

The Sagittarian said...

Hi, lovely photos. Saw your blog via Steve and since you have the same name as my brother I thought I'd drop by! Looks like a wonderful holiday so far, you lucky sod.

cieldequimper said...

C'est drôle j'ai vu les mêmes porte-couteaux dans les boîtes à sardines au marché médiéval de Pont-Croix ! Sorry but this was easier to say in French!

French Fancy... said...

Now that is what I call a market! Fabulous photos, Owen

Loulou said...

Just loved the red linking ("fil rouge") through your story/journey... and obviously, the market woke up a certain sense of nostalgy since I am far from France and those places are really unique.... thank you for that Owen

Nathalie H.D. said...

J'adorais le marché de St Lunaire, celui-ci est magnifique aussi.
J'aime particulièrement les porte-couteaux "sardine" et leurs boites ! (mais qui utilise encore des porte-couteaux, grands dieux ?)

J'étais en février à Menton chez une amie blogueuse et j'y ai acheté des citrons (non traités évidemment) dont j'ai fait une fameuse marmelade...