Thursday, April 16, 2009

Keep Eyes Peeled For Blogs In the Fog . . .

This post is in tribute to a blog which I stumbled on while out wandering in the fog of blogland ; it never ceases to amaze me, sometimes the fog lifts and one finds oneself in a sunlit glade, a clearing in the forest, where life is described with surprising clarity and eloquence, which is the case with "Not Waving but Drowning", where unfolding events are written with touching, well, humanity. And I would never have found Not Waving but Drowning if not for another marvelously human blog named "Halfway to France". My proverbial hat is off to both of these fine blogs.
.
Now, having said that, I will ask in advance that you excuse me for this one, but I can't help posting this after having read today's post on Not Waving but Drowning, (A World of Difference) and especially the series of comments that follow. This photo is one example of the less than enchanting facilities being discussed there... warning, not for the scatologically squeamish. . . (I know, it's not the loveliest picture I ever made. . . but that's life)
.
PS And thanks to Nathalie in Avignon, I learned a new word the other day. . . in some parts of the world this would be referred to as a . . . dunny !
.
.




















.
And it just occurred to me that one reason there may be so many hole-in-the-floor toilet facilities in France is that the upright models may be suffering fates similar to this one :
.


















.
.

3 comments:

English Rider said...

In wondering how these commodes were so damaged I conjured an image based on Turkey Bowling, which I believe to be purely American and which must take place around Thanksgiving. Frozen turkeys are "bowled" down supermarket aisles.
Maybe these toilets are the result of a pagan European festival upon which the U.S. version was founded.
"Tours de Toilettes?" "Rally Descaux?" "W.C. Cricket?" "Toilet Tag?"

Owen said...

Now THAT is an EXCELLENT comment... am splitting my sides, and may have to pee my pants, because the effing toilet is broken and there are no others within miles of this corner of France!!! :D Thank you English Rider for that breath of totally fresh air. . . hmmm, or do I smell a whiff of bathroom air freshener ? Honestly, that just made my blogging day...

English Rider said...

Thanks for being receptive to my theory and for your visit to my blog. Did you visit the porta-potty nightmare post?
In view of all the interest "floating around" (now there's another image in my head), and you being a museumly soul, is there no-one who wishes to put together a serious gathering of facts, artefacts and "legends of the Bog?" I promise to contribute stories and observations. We could come up with some very newsworthy fund-raising stunts too.