Thursday, February 12, 2009

Aslan's Ghost . . .

Another thing I love about France is all the lion sculptures all over the map, a very popular theme apparently in the national collective mind over the years. Maybe it has something to do with my love for the Narnia stories, which were read to me at an early age. Or maybe it is just my complete respect for the pure beauty of the king of the beasts. I'm not sure what the ball this lion has its paw resting on is supposed to symbolize... if someone knows or has an idea... well, leave a comment...
.























.















.
.
.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

Beautiful sculptures. I love Narnia stories as well!

Owen said...

Hey, thanks for dropping by ! I loved the two Narnia movies too. It only occurred to me recently that I may have been subconsciously positively prejudiced in early childhood when we decided 11 years ago to name our second daughter "Lucie"...

Anonymous said...

Very often the lion was used as a symbol of temporal rule, and a paw on a globe represented control over the world.

We haven't seen Prince Caspian yet, but are looking forward to it. The first film was far better than I ever expected.