Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pirates !

There have been alot of stories in the news these days about pirates, and it doesn't look like the problem is about to go away any time soon. A few centuries ago, pirates, if they were caught, were generally treated rather harshly, getting keel-hauled, and then hung from a yardarm, etc. Today there are "rules of engagement", although that didn't stop the US Navy from dispatching three of them to an early watery grave a few days ago. But there are thousands more where those three came from, with nothing to lose and everything to gain. We need to step back and look at the bigger picture. However, I'm not going to plumb those depths right now.
.
What I really wanted to say, is that I had pirates on my mind today when I found this one in front of a restaurant in Le Conquet, Brittany, France, thanks to a blogger named Steve in England who has been doing some of the sharpest writing I've come across in a while. I would highly recommend a visit to his blog Bloggertropolis . . . and especially go back through a few of his posts to the response that he wrote to the spam authors who we all know that are promising us vast sums of money from bank accounts in Africa ! It is truly a gem among blog posts ! And the last I heard, Steve was off to become a pirate captain in Somalia... perhaps subscribing to the axiom, "If you can't beat them, join them !" Good luck Steve, and don't forget my 40% ! :-D So, below photo is a portrait of Steve in his new role in life . . .
.































.
.

1 comment:

NikonSniper said...

they have one like this at navy pier in chicago.
nikonsniper