Thursday, April 9, 2009

From Dream House to Comfort Cottage. . .

Some of you may recall the poet Robert William Service, who is buried in the village of Lancieux, Brittany, near Dinard and Saint Lunaire. One of his most charming poems is called "The Three Bares" in which an outhouse suffers an unfortunate explosion. (I encourage you to read the poem... it is quite entertaining) In "The Three Bares" Service refers to an outhouse as a "Palace of Necessity", and also as a "comfort-cot", short I suppose for "comfort cottage".
.
In any case, I have shown quite a few examples of some of my dream houses in earlier posts. But until now I have not gone into any really intimate details about those dreamed of dwellings. Time to change that. . .
.
The problem with most of my dream houses is that they have been abandoned for so long that they no longer have working plumbing. And therefore other solutions are needed to provide for some of man and womankind's more elementary needs. The photo here shows the palace of necessity behind one such abode. Unlike the one in Service's poem, this is only a lowly one-seater. What really confounds and intrigues me here, however, is what on earth is there a ladder in there for ? ? ? If it is for climbing down into the pit below the seat, I'm not sure I want to know any more. Did any of you see Slumdog Millionaire ? ? ? Reminds me of the comfort cottage out on the end of the pier there. . . :-)
.
.








































.
.

2 comments:

nathalie in avignon said...

Yes I did read Robert Service's poem - quite hilarious. I'd never heard of a dunny with three holes before.

I like your photo. B&W works well.

Lydia said...

Ye gads, that ladder. I wonder if it's for easy access to clear nests/webs...