Sunday, March 8, 2009

JS Cartier . . . Peintre Extraordinaire . . .

While on the subject of excellent painters, an earlier posting below in this blog covered an incredible book (Traces de la Grande Guerre) of black and white photographs done by Jean Cartier showing visible traces of World War One along the entire Western Front from Belgium to Switzerland as they could still be seen over the years it took to produce the photos for the book in the late 1980's, early 1990's. But Jean Cartier is also an extraordinary painter. . . and I would like to extend a giant "Thank You" to him for taking time the other day to show my wife and I some of his beautiful paintings, as well as a stunning series of photographs he did in southern Utah quite a few years ago. His photographs are equally as good as work by some of my favorite photographers like Eliot Porter, Ansel Adams, or Garry Winogrand. The only problem is, now I'm hooked, and I want to see alot more. . .
.
















This postcard was on a wall in his studio. As you can imagine I loved the zebras. . . and it also reminded me of the Calvin & Hobbes cartoon posted way below here about the world only turning color in the 20th century.
.


















And Jean's two cats were perfectly happy sharing the radiator that chilly March afternoon. . .
.















.
.

No comments: