Monday, March 23, 2009

The Birds . . .

Photo taken in 1987 near the Susquehanna River as a massive flock of gulls took off from a field. I guess I liked the way against the ground backdrop they show up white, against the sky the silhouettes are black. In any case, I got my umbrella out as they flew over, and was hoping they had not heard about Alfred Hitchcock's movie. . . as there were a heck of alot of them, and only one of me. . .
.
.
.


















.
.
.
.
Now entered in The Pine River Review's wonderful World Bird Wednesday... December 2010... a time warp may have occurred with all these gulls flapping up a storm...
.
.

5 comments:

Empty Nester said...

Haha! That's the first thing I thought of when I saw them! Wonderful photo!

Springman said...

The bleakness of the Hitchcock thriller is well envoked here Owen. I recall the quintesential moment when the old hag ornithologist pooh-poohs the idea that birds could launch an organised attack against human kind because of the dimunitive size of their brain pans!
"I have never known birds of different species to flock together. The very concept is unimaginable. Why, if that happened, we wouldn't stand a chance! How could we possibly hope to fight them?"
Tipi Hendren is the perfect Hitchcock heroine, blond hair pulled severly backwards. She has that steely offhanded manner of the career existentialist, somewhat cold and cynical but with a heart of gold. She competes with her antistasis the young and sultry Suzanne Pleshette for the Manprize. Was Hitchcocks Birds a prophetic metaphor for Women's conquest of our Manworld?!!
Seeing the picture of your flock pushing madly into the sky I'd say you were right to be afraid small brain pans or not!

Holiday cheers to you and yours!

Sally in WA said...

Wow! You sure captured plenty of them. No wonder you pulled out the umbrella. I would, too!

holdingmoments said...

A great sight to witness; and wise move with the umbrella lol

Sondra said...

I'll bet it was a roar of sound as they took to the air--what a Thriller that was for sure!
So still in culture shock after 17yrs? Just saw that in your profile--I hope its in a good way.