Sunday, December 12, 2010

Pictures At An Exhibition . . .

.
.
.
On a late October Sunday afternoon, James and I were strolling through the Belleville area of Paris, when we found this spot in a park with a surprisingly good view of nearly all the city of light, and the sky above. James took quite a few more photos from here than I did, so I will be curious to see what some of his pictures look like; as two photographers will never take quite the same photo of the same time and place. (and I thought I saw a few angels flitting about up there in the clouds)
.
.
.

.
.
Shortly before we got up to that high point in Belleville Park which had such a good view overlooking Paris, we came across a bar (which unfortunately was closed, as I could have used a spot to drink) with a big mural photo across one side of its lowered security grates.
.
.
.

.
.
Native Americans ? Sad to see that someone had defaced the image.
.
.
.

.
.
But to the right of the shuttered up bar, there was a second part to the Bar Floreal, with a big neon sign in the window proclaiming "Bar Floreal Photographie". Now that caught my attention. Not only because I love neon signs, but what a great idea, to combine a bar with a photo gallery. Now why didn't I think of that ??? And to boot, there were some reflections visible in the window, which thus makes this perfect for James Reflection Weekend.
.
.
.

.
.
Apparently the Bar Floreal also does photography exhibitions. I'm going to have to go back there at a time when they are more likely to be open, for both a drink and to take in some photography. And perhaps also to kick around with the owners of the place a little idea that has been trotting about in my cluttered mind for quite some time now.
.
For a number of months now I've been thinking that it would be wonderful to be able to organize an exhibition in a Paris gallery somewhere of photos done by several bloggers who are doing simply extraordinary work. Work which merits attention. Yes, their work is visible on the internet for the whole world to see. But the internet is not the same thing as a gallery in Paris, and actual high quality framed prints of photographs are not the same thing as seeing them on a computer screen.
.
I don't know if one joint exhibition, or a series of individual exhibitions would be the way to go, but I think it would be a fabulous experience for all concerned if it could be made to happen.
.
There are so many excellent photography bloggers out there that I'm almost afraid to begin a list here, in case I might miss someone, but just a few of the artists in question whose work I would love to see on the walls of a Paris gallery are, in no particular order :
.
.
- Clo : Photo Sans Cibles (sublimissime)
.
- Loulou : Indiaphragme (incomparable photos from India)
.
- Springman : Pine River Review (If you enjoy Eliot Porter, you will enjoy Springman)
.
- James : Something Sighted (also of Newtown Area Photos linked above)
.
- Scotty Graham : Last Flight Out Photography (unreal underwater and other...)
.
- Lisa : Stickup Artist (some of the finest photos of California I've ever seen)
.
- John : John's Photography (look through his archives for abandoned cars !)
.
- Tom B. : Tom b. Photography (both on Tumblr, and find his previous Blogspot blog)
.
- A few poems could be read also by Nevine during the exhibition opening
.
- Virginia : Paris Through My Lens (her love of Paris comes shining through)
.
- Priya : The Plum Tree (for her lovely charcoal drawings)(currently with an exhibition happening in Bangalore)
.
- K'line : Through My Looking Glass (with her magic wand she transforms...)
.
- Lynne : Décolleté Glimpses & Ragzedge Arts (for her photo montages and paintings too !)
.
- Rima : The Hermitage (for her out of this world paintings and creations !)
.
- Karine F. : Un Jour Une Vie (look through her older posts)
.
- Karine Arnou : Peintures, Photos, et Humeurs (extraordinary watercolors and photos)
.
- Jeff : Life Is Beautiful (a little quiet of late, but hopefully returning with more photos and philosophy)
.
Just imagine their photos and paintings on these walls . . .
.
.
.






































.
.
I loved how the neon light was reflecting in the plate glass, creating a red echo.
.
.
.

.
.
.

33 comments:

Lorrene said...

Fascinating!!!! Love the art.
I also saw an angel in the cloud. He was in the upper left corner. I think he was a smartalec angel trying to show off.

PeterParis said...

Excellent idea! Would be happy to try to assist you in organizing such an event, which could also be the opportunity to meet these and other bloggers!

Lynne with an e said...

Red echoes are the best. They positively singe one's eardrums, or in this case eyeballs.

Stickup Artist said...

Dearest Owen, Just got back from Christmas shopping, and of course, Christmas eating, belly-up on my sofa thinking, "I have no post for this week, whatever shall I do?" So I hit my blogger home and said to myself, "oh cool, Owen just posted." I was knocked halfway off the sofa when I saw the view of Paris in that heavenly light. I'm happily scrolling down, loving the following corner bar and mural and of course the neon. Then I hit your list and misted up! I could just hug you! The mention with such company is so flattering and appreciated. I've been to some of these wonderful blogs but will surely hit every link after my nap - I can hike all day in the "wild" and I'm invigorated. 3 hours at a mall and I need a nap. Jeesh. Thank You!!!

Anonymous said...

A role model of an entry. Must be the city where something alike is possible. Much success for your adventure.

Please have a good new week - and thank you for finding the last line, I wasn't able to think.

daily athens

James said...

These photos are even better than what I remember! Each one is excellent!
It would be so amazing if you were able to pull off an exhibit like that. It sounds wonderful and totally original! I'm honored to be considered.
Tomorrow's Something Sighted post will be one of the photos that I took while we were together. With many more to follow.

pRiyA said...

:-)
This post title was supposed to be the title for my next post ;-)

I am chuffed to be included in your list. If your utterly wonderful idea materializes I'll buy you a drink or two at that bar.

pRiyA said...

The first photograph is divine. The rest striking!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Wow, that first picture is out of this world amazing!!!
I love shots with lots of sky... that horizon where sky and land and city meet are truly spell binding!!

The Pliers said...

Ah, the Paris that I see in my mind every time I look. How did you know?

I didn't realize that we were mutual fans of everything neon! Great discovery of the new photo gallery!

Steve said...

Now that would be an exhibition worth travelling from afar to see.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful idea Owen!! And i agree, it is not the same to have all that great work hanging from the walls of a gallery than having them caught among the 4 lines of a monitor. In a certain way, it is like meeting a blog friend in the real life, i am sure you know what i mean. In a certain way it is like reading a book and all the characters may come for real, or like meeting that literature´s hero of us. I wonder, who could got satisfied just with watching a delicious recipe in the pages of a magazine?? Or thinking one know Paris just by a postcard??
And hey Owen, i didn´t saw you in that list!!
Have a great week friend ;)

Eleonora Baldwin said...

Photos and drinks: a winning combination!

Wonderful series and great Parisian art scene reportage, Owen.

Hugs and holiday cheer,
Eleonora xx

mythopolis said...

Cool shots, cool gallery, and absolutely excellent idea. I've been to several of the sites you have referenced, and there is a lot of excellent work. (Including your own photography as well!) It would make a terrific show!

And, oh! Poke around in Dee's archives and you will find he has some stunning material as well.

I hope you will continue to pursue this idea. Also, should it materialize, it would be cool to somehow create a catalog of the show that could be made available on-line to such people as myself who would buy one, in that I cannot afford to fly to Paris anytime soon!

Do IT!!!

Plum' said...

Une belle idée Owen !
A Lyon, deux artistes doux-dingues nommés P&P ont eu l'idée incroyable de décorer une boutique de chaussures à l'image de leur univers rococo-décalé :
http://vimeo.com/17658617
(it may be of interest in particular to Morbid Anatomy ...).
Merci pour le k'lin d'oeil ;)
Bises cher Owen
PS : je suis également fan de néons !

Dawn said...

wow looks like a great exhibition :)

Olga said...

This post is very inspiring. Thank you for the photos and for the information.

Shirley said...

I love the sky in the first photo! This is my first visit to your blog, coming over from James', and I am now a follower!

clo said...

Howdy cher Owen.
Une belle idée..digne de toi et de ton grand coeur..
tu es si gentil Owen..tu boulverses toutes les theories sur le monde virtuel et sur les relations que l'ont peut y nouer..
avec toi on sent tout ce que tu donnes meme a travers un écran..:o)
pas tout le monde y arrive ..et merci pour cela c'est reconfortant..et vrai..:o)
pour le reste merci du fond du coeur pour ma presence sur cette liste..et pour ce projet qui bien sur pourrait etre realisable et voir le jour..
a suivre comme on dit..
une bonne soirée a toi..
bises..:o)

Owen said...

Thank you all deeply... am so touched, I think I will just do a little post right now to say thank you...

Lydia said...

I love the red echoes and the magical clouds...and I especially love your idea for the gallery showing. Brilliant, Owen! Where is your name in that list? Your work must be represented! Perhaps you could do, or have someone put together, a short video that would give a scan of the room and a close up of one work by each photographer.

Catherine said...

Je n'ai pas encore oublié un précédent fabuleux gâteaux remarquablement décoré offert..... à nos yeux sur ton blog. Vous êtes trop gourmands, je ne le retrouve pas....

Je viens de faire un parallèle avec ton profile. Une flamme qui illumine votre foyer depuis ta venue en France....

Bon anniversaire à Miss Framboise. Que sa 18ème année lui apporte de nombreuses joies ainsi qu'à Mr Toad et Mme La Grenouille par procuration.

Catherine said...

Apès avoir lu le précédent message, ma curiosité m'a poussé à lire le précédent bien sûr.

Une projet généreux, Owen, qui souhaiterait effacer les barrières du net. Une initiative pas impossible à réaliser. je me ferais volontiers "visiteuse" avec grand intérêt !

Loulou said...

Coucou Owen!!!
100% d'accord avec Clo !
Sauf... que nous nous sommes rencontrés dans la vraie vie alors.....
Agree with Clo.... except that we did meet each other in the real life, so.... ;)
Anyway, I really love the idea! Would be lovely and great experience to gather our bloggers friends all together in one of those galleries, an amazing mix for sure, a true human story definitely...
Your generosity and big heart can't belong to one man only ;-)
Take care of you, good luck with the current heavy period at work ("don't talk about that Loulou grrrrr")
Amitiés à tes princesses
Loulou

Nathalie H.D. said...

Yesssss, j'adore ton idée d'expo commune et comme Catherine je serais une visiteuse passionnée. J'adorerais voir les tirages photos de beaucoup de ceux que tu as cités et les rencontrer lors de l'expo parce que derrière ces photos il y a aussi des personnalités attachantes, on le voit bien aux commentaires que tu reçois.

Nathalie H.D. said...

Merci pour les liens, car grâce à toi j'ai découvert des photographes merveilleux.

Nathalie H.D. said...

Et PS encore, mes photos préférées de ce post sont la première et la dernière...

Mimi said...

Wow! fabulous idea, and I agree with you that the internet is NOT the same as a gallery in Paris, not by a long shot.

Nevine Sultan said...

Owen, only you would come up with such an idea... because you are such a creative spirit and an all-embracing type of person. And I feel like a terror for not coming by to comment here earlier... but these past couple of weeks have been a hair-pulling time for me. So, thank you for the lovely thought... and for including me in it. I would be honored to read some of my humble poetry in the presence of such magnificent photographers and their work. :-)

Nevine

Owen said...

Vous êtes tous et toutes trop gentil(le)s !

Là, je suis sur le mmm mmm, bouleversé par votre amitié, votre chaleur, votre accompagnement...

Oui, ce serait super d'essayer d'organiser cela... et vu la réponse positive ici, je pense que cela vaut la peine...

J'aurais un peu de temps libre après noel, pour y retourner dans Paris, pour revoir ce bar, et d'autres...

You all just bowl me right over with your kindness !

I'll have some time off after Xmas, and hope to be able to get back into Paris to go check out the Bar Floreal when it's open, and maybe look at some other places too.

It would be such an incredible trip to try to make this happen...

In any case, THANK YOU for your friendship and support here... you all just amaze me every time...

Roxana said...

:-)

!!!


ah, your immense generosity, Owen, i don't really don't know how to thank you, what to say: a huge hug is all i seem to be able of right now!!!

English Rider said...

Try the French American Chamber of Commerce. If they don't have a space, they have connections.

The Poet Laura-eate said...

Cloud formations are indeed supposed to be a means in which angels show themselves (if you believe in that sort of thing).

Coins in the street, white feathers appearing in unlikely places and the song you were just thinking of coming onto the radio etc are all supposed to be signs that you are being blessed for doing the right thing, or being nice.

I guess you experience quite a lot of the above...