Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pink Bird of Happiness . . .

I just discovered (or was it vice versa ?) an intriguing and visibly wonderful blog over in upstate New York called SparkleMirror Kiln Fired Art, presented by David who apparently loves all things ceramic. I'm not sure how David stumbled on the Magic Lantern Show, but he turned up as a follower, and then made it clear there were a few things here that were of interest to him. To whet his appetite a little further, and perhaps yours too (or perhaps not, there's no accounting for taste) I present this small piece of ceramic funerary art that was on an ancient tombstone in a cemetery in the middle of nowhere near here. Cemeteries are not sad or depressing places to me, I find them on the contrary full of peace, and sometimes joy. Like this joyous little bird, pink throated against the orange lichen. . . winging its way through the heavens of eternity. . .
.
And I'm thinking that Laurie over at "Creating Pictures" may enjoy this too. And if you didn't stop by there after yesterday's angel post to see what he's been up to, I suggest you get on over there, because he's been busy again today. . . and when Laurie gets busy, well, watch out, surprises at every turn. . .
.

















.
.

9 comments:

Loulou said...

Bonjour Owen, nice bird definitely!
Want to send you even MORE HAPPINESS, please go and see Indiaphragme, on the right colum, there is a video you MUST see: Life is beautiful when we are dancing all totheger!
Loulou

joo said...

I like ceramic birds and this little fellow looks nice. The photo is superb!

Laurie said...

I have never seen anything like this before in a cemetery. It is very striking - what a contrast!
Laurie

Steve said...

It looks like it was strangely made for that headstone...

J said...

No toaster for me - I have been informed I can get one in a supermarket in Beijing for about 200 kuai (roughly 20 euro i think), but it still wouldn't solve the problem of not being able to buy bread that isn't already stale. (Being at the end of the supply chain, bah!). But seeing as I'll be home in less than a month I'll soon be able to grow hugely fat from consuming as much toast as I please.
Hmmm...that was probably more information about my toast situation that you needed!
I like the truck, vibrant, and the bird, I wonder who put it there?

Blind Fly Theater said...

How surreal! Just visiting again and tripping through this mega-interesting blog and I see the link to the SparkleMirror site... Wow, thanks Owen.
Oh, great post too, love that bird... the splash of beauty amongst the grey.
David

Brian King said...

Beautiful colors! Nice!

theconstantwalker said...

Many thanks for sharing this post...

Springman said...

Thank you Dear Sir for your fine contribution to World Bird Wednesday and an introduction to these other fine blogs. The Sparklemirror link goes to Blind Fly Theater? Funny that. I am a devote of radio theater and will often lull myself to sleep with the dulcet tones of Orson Wells Mercury Theater in my ear. Decades of brilliant content is available, unprotected by copyright, for our 21st century entertainment. http://otr.net/ is the place to go to listen to it FREE! Thousands of shows! Old Time Radio at it's best. This is a site I truly love.
On to your wonderful photograph...
Funny isn't it, that we choose as our symbols of life eternal winged creatures that soar above the din and clatter of life below when our feet are permanently hinged to the soil we hope to escape? Is the dank earth a more appropriate place to search for symbols of resurrection? Do we enshrine ourselves with images of colorful bacteria? Heavens no, the mere thought is chilling. I think, Dear Friend, you ask us to look past the gaudy tinsel of our hope drizzled delusion and embrace the lichen that can bring new life even to a headstone. It is, I fear, the Earth that calls it's children home, and not the sky!