Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Paris Dog Cemetery ; Chapter 5 . . .

I've been meaning to get back to these photos for some weeks now, after all the encouraging and touching comments that came in with the first four chapters of this series. (see "Paris Dog Cemetery" in "labels" index at right to get just those first four posts)
.
So many of us grew up with family pets, dogs, cats, and various other beasts, and we became totally attached to those creatures who brought us comfort and unquestioning friendship even on days when all else in the world may have seemed hard and wrong and cold and senseless.
.
How many among you have experienced the pain and loss when such an intimate friend departed to greener pastures ? How many among you remember fondly your four footed friend from times past ? On the outskirts of Paris, in the suburb of Asnières, the Paris Dog Cemetery was founded to create a final resting place for such creatures, where they could sleep peacefully for all eternity by the banks of the Seine. It was Laurie, at Creating Pictures In My Mind who inspired me to go back for another visit there a few weeks ago in April. Here are a few more pictures from that timeless afternoon. . . three fading images, like fading memories . . .
.

































.

































.





























.
.

7 comments:

Lynne with an e said...

Do their doggy friends come by and leave "messages" on their tombstones in lieu of flowers?

Cat said...

I had two dearly loved cats that I buried in the nearby pet cemetary. When my cat, Baby Girl, died a few months ago I couldn't bear to take her away from here so she is under the hickory trees in our back wood. It is nice to know others loved their pets so dearly but it also tugs my heart sorely since she hasn't been gone for very long.

Lydia said...

Wow, these are touching. Really gave me goosebumps.
I have the ashes of my two favorite cats in the bedroom, with specifications in my Will that they will be scattered with me. No joke, I really am that crazy.

Jilly said...

Owen - thank you so much for your comment on Riviera Dogs. Am so glad to find your series on the Paris Dog Cemetery. I never knew such a wonder exisited. Your photographs are beautiful and of course the subjects, so moving. And thank you so much for pointing me in the direction of Elliott Erwitt - and no, I'd not heard of him and his work but goodness, I love his photography. Inspiring.

Now to enjoy more of your blog. Thanks Owen!

Owen said...

Lynne, In fact, the place was remarkably clean and well swept, despite the groups of ten to twenty dogs at a time who came through while I was there to pay their respects to a departed friend... but you will understand better once I post an extract from the sign at the entrance... will get to that shortly... :-)

Cathy, they really are part of the family, normal that we mourn them as such...

Lydia, no, absolutely not, you are not crazy, if you could see the messages on alot of the tombstones in the dog cemetery, you would feel right at home with folks extremely devoted to their departed four footed friends...

Jilly, a pleasure to read you here, glad you liked Erwitt, he is amazing ! I have a book of his photos, just incredible. Am looking forward to visiting Riviera Dogs regularly, and I will have to post some of my many dog portraits for you too... there are one or two in the back posts, but many more to come. :-)

Lydia said...

Whew! The validation is a relief.

Amy said...

Wow, that bottom image particularly is lovely.