Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Adopt A Past Post . . .

This may possibly be the all-time saddest looking dog I have ever seen anywhere. Ever. Sitting by the door of a bar in a backwater Brittany village, he gave new meaning to the word "Forlorn". Forlorn and forgotten. By golly but he needed a bath and some tender loving care.
.
Now why on Earth is Owen posting this sad and potentially depressing photo ? ? ? Well, there is a certain method to my madness, and it is as follows :
.
This blog started back in September of last year, and for months and months I labored away more or less in a vacuum, as all of you wonderful readers who are visiting often these days had not yet discovered the Magic Lantern Show. There are literally hundreds of posts from last Fall and Winter which received zero comments, zero feedback, and which are feeling about as neglected as this sad looking pooch.
.
So I'd like to try something new which I've never seen done on any other blog, (yes folks, even Mr Toad has an original idea once in a while); I'd like to ask you all to start adopting some back posts in the archives here that have no comments at present, and leave a comment on a few of those neglected treasures. What do you think ? Is it plausible ? Feasible ? Will any of you be willing to make the effort ??? I consider it already fairly amazing that you are already making the effort just to get here to the most recent posts. . . and I thank each and every one of you for your visits here ! So, let's give this dog a home, as it were, go ahead, adopt a past post or two . . . so they won't be so lonely thinking that no one ever saw them . . . hoping someone will take them home . . . (if you do decide to adopt a past post, please leave the date of the post in your comment so I can find it...)
.


















.
.

13 comments:

Lynne with an e said...

Shameless self-promotion! I love it! Blasts from the past. Oldies but goodies. Owen's Old Posts Reunion Tour. I'm first in line for tickets!!!

Anonymous said...

Jeez Owen, I've seen more pathetic dogs than that!
Hell, I've owned a few.

Consider that pooch, er, post adopted.......

Yer old pal
Jeff

expateek said...

Great idea! I too think that some of the oldies are indeed goodies. Will look thru your archives and get cracking.

The Sagittarian said...

With what can only be described as dogged determination I shall adopt a past post. You have been warned, woof.

Cat said...

I guess I better get reading and you can give the dog a bath and a good meal. lol

Lydia said...

What a brilliant idea! I will absolutely go for this.

This photo is a reminder that there are many pets who have lost their homes due to the economic downturn/crisis. If we didn't already have two dogs and six cats it would be enough to make me drive over to the shelter tomorrow!

Today I got a letter telling us that one of our sponsored kids is graduating out of the program in a few months, and asking if we'd consider sponsoring another older child again (ages 15-17), one who hadn't been selected on the website and who is waiting, waiting...

My husband and I have been sponsoring needy children for some years now through a wonderful international organization that is child and community centered and has nothing to do with a religious agenda. The U.S. link at PlanUSA.org should be able to assist anyone looking for offices in other countries.
We sponsor a now-five-yr.old boy in Ecuador so he'll be with us for years. But our girl, Huwaida, in Sudan (who we've only known for 2 years but I will treasure her letters forever) will be graduating. And, yes, we will sponsor another older child. Their pictures at the website really get to you. Maybe some of your readers will take a look. Thanks much!

Catherine said...

Hi Owen..thanks for stopping by recently... and although I have read a lot of Greene none of his non fiction about mexico so I shall give it a whirl. I also started my blog last September, and you're right that elusive audience and readership takes a little while to take off... it is not as easy as write and they will read is it?? I only discovered your blog a few weeks ago, but I am very pleased I have... so in the spirit of it all I will look up and old post...probabaly a cemetary one and leave a comment!!

Owen said...

Loulynne, that's what it's all about right ! LOL ... I'm sure there's a reason I'm doing all this, am just not sure what it is yet. But it's getting clearer in the fog !

Oooooowwwwwhhhhhhheeeeeeeeee...
If that is the Jeff I think it is, anonymous or otherwise, holy moly break out the beer, fire up the bbq, put on the music, unroll the paintings, and let the GOOD TIMES ROLL !!! Yo Dude !!! Glad you made it. Now how did you sneak across the ocean like that ??? Was wondering if you might show up some day, well gosh darn, tarnation, if that don't beat all... ya figured out how to make the comment box squawk... and it croaks right back at ya !!! Tried to ring you on a land line, but got yer machine. Will be back at ya soon. Happy June in the meanwhile...

Expateek, now that is the kind of "can do" attitude I love to see... can't wait to see what you find !

Hey Amanda, are you BACK ! I was starting to think it really was you who pulled a runner with all those NZ dollars in a bag. Dogged determination ? I'm whimpering ! Make no bones about it, and don't be such a wag, get to work, you hear ?!? Woof wooof woooooooffff !

Hi Cathy, I'm not sure a bath is going to fix this bad hair day... he may need a close shave, and then let it grow out clean in a good home...

Hi Lydia, I keep seeing in the press where there are scores of abandoned pets in the USA these days. Doesn't seem to have hit France as hard. Yet. Thanks for sharing the info about sponsoring kids too...

Catherine, I'll be curious to hear what you think of Greene's travel log in Mexico... imagine what HE could have done if he had a blog. His book about Haiti is excellent also. And speaking of cemetery photos, I just added a new blog to the blog list at right of page called "Voir Ou Regarder" which has some beautiful cemetery shots in it.

Ann said...

OWEN..will do.fellow bloggers unite..let no post go"uncommented" .

joo said...

Sounds interesting and I love this dog - could I have it:)

Steve said...

You missed the obvious there, Owen: visit my older posts or the dog gets it! That would have worked a treat!

PeterParis said...

I promise to check your old posts one rainy today (which will probably come soon)... not today! :-)

Vivian aka Deborah said...

You got me by the heart with that dog.....ok, I'll return later to adopt an old post and to pick up that dog!